Welp, the first full trailer for Toy Story 3 is out, and it’s essentially what I’ve expected. The reputation of these films is so rock-solid it would take a real WTF moment from this trailer to make me think it might not measure up to the first two. That’s a very good position the filmmakers have made for themselves. Although, unlike the sub-par Shrek franchise, I get the impression that the Pixar folks don’t want to rest on their laurels. Somehow they manage to balance the regular tropes of the Toy Story films while managing to expand the overall story. Kudos, guys.
– So, like I said, this looks just about how it should. Nothing too surprising, but nothing too disappointing.
– The story goes to a logical place (Andy’s all grown up), but still has an appealing draw.
– I’m surprised Andy has kept all his toys. And in such pristine condition!
– Rex’s “Should we be HYSTERICAL?!!” makes me laugh a little more each time.
– Spanish Buzz could be very interesting, and I appreciate how formal and romantic the Spanish is. For no reason.
– I’m happy that something strange happens to Buzz, because without some kind of internal confusion, he’s a pretty pointless character.
– Is this a re-tread of the “dealing with loss” theme from the second film?
I’m very much expecting this to measure up to the first two. What ‘choo think?